August 2, 2022 to August 3, 2022 8:00 am - 4:00 pm
The Mandt System – Physical Restraint Training and Certification
The new Chapter 30 special education regulations, effective July 1, 2022, require local education agency (LEA) personnel using physical restraints to be trained and certified in the appropriate use of specific, evidence-based techniques. Tosupport LEAs in ensuring appropriate staff training in the use of physicalrestraints, the Office of the State Superintendent of Education (OSSE) ishosting in-person trainings for certification in the Mandt System. The Mandt System is a comprehensive, integrated approach to preventing, de-escalating, and if necessary, intervening when the behavior of an individual poses a threat of harm to themselves and/ or others. The Mandt System buildsskill development through a system of gradual and graded alternatives for de-escalating and assisting students, using a combination of interpersonalcommunication skills, conflict resolution strategies and physical interaction techniques.
Items to bring:
- Comfortable clothing and shoes (Required)
- Government-issued photo identification (Required)
- Pen and paper (Optional)
Due to limited seating, registrants must cancel registration in Eventbrite at least 24 hours prior to thescheduled Mandt System training. OSSE reserves the right to restrict future registration for Mandt System training for attendees who do not cancel their reserved seat at least 24 hours in advance.
- Aug. 2-3, 2022 ? Pre-K3 and Pre-K4 Staff: Register
- Aug. 8-9, 2022 ? Elementary and Middle (K-8) Staff: Register
- Aug. 9-10, 2022 ? Elementary and Middle (K-8) Staff: Register
- Aug. 18-19, 2022 ? High School and Adult Program Staff: Register
- Aug. 23-24, 2022 ? High School and Adult Program Staff: Register
- Sept. 13-14, 2022 ? Elementary and Middle (K-8) Staff: Register
- Sept. 22-23, 2022 ? High School and Adult Program Staff: Register
For more information on training dates and registration, please see OSSE’s website.Please contact the Division of Systems and Supports, K-12 Office of Special Education Policy Team with questions at OSSE.DSEpolicy@dc.gov.