Frequently Asked Questions

The most commonly asked questions on our SEC online community practice list.


Nuts & Bolts

A: Click the calendar at the top of your dashboard, go to the date you want, double click on the date. You will be directed to a new screen where you choose from a drop down box ESY and enter your date range.

A: Instructions can also be found on p.38 of the LEA POC Manual.


A1: Go into SEDS > Go under school systems > Click ” reports” > On the right side, you will see “related service management report > Select how you want to retrieve the information > The report will generate under the ” My Report ” section.

A2: Just a few tips about the Related Services Management Report (RSMR) from a few years of trying to figure out how it works without much guidance on how the calculations are done on the backend of the report.

A: (via OSSE) Yes! The LEA can use the RSMR to calculate this number. When the LEA runs the report for the desired month and filters by service, they can add all of the minutes in column Q (Prescribed Minutes) to determine the total number of minutes prescribed to all students for the service type. For your convenience, I’ve included step-by-step instructions.


A: There is not a report directly in EasyIEP. However, there is a report in SLED that appears to be accurate and so I use that report when pulling levels. You can also use the ART and pull the report for All Students with Disabilities and then add up the services for each student to determine their levels.

Service Trackers

A1: You are required to log services and GENERATE the service trackers in SEDS, but you are NOT required to print off, sign and upload/fax the signed pages back into SEDS. The IDEA does not require this. Your LEA can decide to require this additional step of signing/uploading, but OSSE will only be monitoring to see that services are logged and service trackers are generated in SEDS. Additional requirements about signed trackers may apply to Medicaid situations (when a provider is under supervision), but not for the IDEA.

A2: Printing and signing service trackers is NOT a requirement per OSSE Policy. It is described as part of the documentation requirements in OSSE’s related services non-regulatory guidance and in the SEDS manual. However, OSSE’s monitoring unit DOES NOT look for signed trackers when monitoring LEAs. As of November 2014, printed and signed trackers are no longer required for Medicaid billing either (per memo from OSSE to DHCF). LEAs may choose to have providers print and sign for their own accountability, but physical signatures on service trackers are not required by OSSE, IDEA, or Medicaid.

Inactive Students
Out of State Transfers

Licensing And Service Provision

A: Behavioral support service hours must be provided by a qualified provider. What exactly “qualified” means is not explicitly stated in policy, nor does OSSE stipulate which licenses are required.

From OSSE’s Related Services Policy:

“Counseling/behavior support services include supportive therapeutic services provided by qualified social workers, psychologists, guidance counselors, or other qualified personnel to improve a child’s social-emotional, interpersonal, and academic functioning.”

The Co-op also asked a special education attorney who said: “I don’t think there is anything in federal or local law that specifies who must provide behavior supports.  I think the answer might vary depending on what type of support you are talking about. I think there may be occasions where a teacher can provide behavior support in the classroom and then there may be occasions where you need a social worker or psychologist to provide behavior support in or out of the classroom.  Who needs to provide the service is dependent on a student’s individual needs. Of course, most parents attorneys will argue that it has to be a licensed social worker, counselor or psychologist. But I am not sure they would always win that argument.”

For counseling/therapy the provider must be a licensed social worker, psychologist, or counselor. However, in some cases there are qualified providers who fall outside of these categories for other types of behavior support (for example – ABA, social skills teaching, other classroom-based support). We think the bottom line is IEP teams should be thoughtful about who provides behavioral support and prepared to show evidence that backs up the team decision if necessary.

A:  The current OSSE requirements for being qualified to provide specialized instruction in a charter school are minimal for those who provide resource/consultative services (push-in/pull-out). No specific license or credential is required, providers must have a bachelor’s degree and though it’s not explicitly stated, it’s expected that these teachers have had formal coursework/training/comparable experience in the field.  A support person without a bachelor’s degree would need to be supervised by a qualified sped teacher. Again, “qualified” is pretty vague. The Co-op believes that while charter schools can and should have the flexibility to hire professionals that best fit their students’ needs, anyone providing specialized instruction should have formal experience and/or training in the field of special education, or be under the supervision of someone who does.

Ultimately if your implementation of the IEP is based on the IEP team decisions, falls within OSSE guidelines and your LEA policies, is based on good data, and is leading toward positive outcomes for the child, it’s probably ok!

A: All providers working in DC Public Charter schools must follow the guidelines for their field set by the DC Department of Health and OSSE. This means a valid license issued by the DC Department of Health and/or OSSE.

SEC Online Community of Practice List Use

A: This is a discussion group for Special Education Directors or Coordinators, or those filling the role at their charter school. This is not a group for principals, school leaders, or teachers (unless they are also acting as the SEC). Only Co-op member schools may participate in the group.

A: The SEC group is a place to share resources and ideas, ask questions, and get feedback from your peers. Any discussion topics related to special education are welcome. We want all members to feel comfortable asking questions and giving suggestions and ask that you follow these guidelines:

  1. All discussions should be kept confidential. While you should feel free to share information with colleagues at your school, please do not forward any of the emails outside of this group. Of course, keep in mind that anything you post could potentially find its way out into the world, so be thoughtful about what you choose to share. If you have a question you aren’t comfortable asking, feel free to send it to and we will post it anonymously for you.
  2. When asking about a student, maintain confidentiality. Don’t use names or other identifying information.
  3. When responding to a message, please “reply all” so everyone can see your response.
  4. Understand that all the advice and opinions given here are just that – advice and opinions! So feel free to disagree, but please do so respectfully. Keep in mind that although we have many experienced special ed professionals on this list, due diligence and decision-making are always the responsibility of the individual LEA.

A: Send an email to When responding, please make sure you “reply-all” so that everyone can see your response.

Funding Levels

A:  Funding levels are as follows:

  • 0-8 hours per week = level 1
  • >8-16 hours per week = level 2
  • >16-24 hours per week = level 3
  • >24 hours per week = level 4

Hours are any combination of the following services listed on the IEP:

  • Specialized instruction
  • Written Expression/Mathematics/Reading
  • Social Work Services
  • Adapted Physical Education
  • Counseling
  • Recreation Rehabilitation Counseling
  • Speech-Language Pathology
  • Adapted Physical Education
  • Behavioral Support Services
  • Occupational Therapy
  • Orientation and Mobility Psychological Services
  • School Health and School Nursing
  • Audiology
  • Parent Counseling and Training
  • Physical Therapy and dedicated service hours