Our members want to get special education right! The Co-op fills a unique community need in DC by working with teachers, school leaders, and across charter schools to improve educational services for students with disabilities. Through Co-op membership, our schools are leveraging resources, sharing ideas, and building capacity to move from compliance to quality.
The DC Special Education Cooperative is a 501(c)(3) organization. Membership is open to all charter schools in the District of Columbia. Newly approved charter schools and those pending approval can apply for provisional membership.
Program Supports and Technical Assistance
- Technical Assistance Helpline – rapid response to your special education questions.
- Quarterly Member Meetings – in person meetings with focused discussion on topics of importance to your special ed program.
- Advocacy and Collaboration – The Co-op works with OSSE, PCSB, the State Advisory Panel, and other agencies to make sure the interests of charters are considered and addressed. The Co-op partners with vendors and local experts to bring discounted resources to members.
- Online Community of Practice – Access to email discussion lists for special educators and related service providers
- Innovation Projects – Access to work groups and opportunities to partner with us on projects in our focus areas such as: secondary transition, the special education continuum, behavior support, inclusive practices, and more!
- Diagnostic Consult – 1 hour on-site diagnostic interview/brainstorm for programmatic improvement or problem solving.
- Special Education Coordinator Back to School Boot Camp – 2 free seats at our annual training series
- Webinar – unlimited access to monthly webinar PD
- In person PD – unlimited access to PD sessions
- Web Resources – Full access to our website with helpful resources for school staff including policy briefs, templates, topical information about instruction, discipline and behavior and compliance.
- Newsletter and Policy Updates – Biweekly member newsletter
- Resume Bank and Job Postings
Members have access to the Co-op’s fee-based services:
- Technical Assistance and coaching – TA hours to use for consulting, coaching, and brainstorming. The Co-op is your thought partner!
- On-site PD – custom on-site workshops, CPI, or INCLUDE DC
- Medicaid Billing – Comprehensive e-billing services for charter school Medicaid providers
- On-site Behavior Support – Our behavior expert provides a wide range of services including: FBA/BIP development, observations, and staff coaching
- Jumpstart Packages – Professional development and coaching packages designed for short-term special education training in compliance, academics, or behavior for administrators and educators.
All charter school staff benefit from membership in the Co-op, but it’s the special ed coordinator or director who accesses our resources on a regular basis. Read our post to find out how to take advantage of your membership.
- For SY 2016-2017: $3,500 per LEA with 200+ total students enrolled, $2,500 per LEA with 100-199 total students enrolled, or $2,000 for LEAs with less than 100 total students enrolled