Our members want to get special education right! The Co-op fills a unique community need in DC by working with teachers, school leaders, and across charter schools to improve educational services for students with disabilities. Through Co-op membership, our schools are leveraging resources, sharing ideas, and building capacity to elevate the quality of their special education programs.
Co-op members have access to our ELEVATE program which includes:
- Technical Assistance – rapid response helpline, biweekly newsletters, and policy briefs.
- Advocacy – The Co-op works with OSSE, PCSB, DC’s State Advisory Panel, and other city agencies to make sure the interests of charters are considered and addressed.
- Network of Special Education Experts – development and collaboration opportunities for LEA-based special education leaders, and access to online communities of practice
- ELEVATE Special Education Needs Assessment – is a web-based tool that assists schools in identifying strengths and areas for improvement within their special education programs
- Staff Development includes Co-op Bootcamp, annual conferences, and special events.
- Web-based tools – Full access to our members resource site which includes: templates, articles, guidance documents, webinar, and infrastructure tools that include a resume bank, hiring tips, and sample job descriptions and performance evaluations.
- Innovation Projects – Access to work groups and opportunities to partner with us on projects in our focus areas such as: secondary transition, the special education continuum, behavior support, inclusive practices, and more!
Members also have access to additional programs and services:
- DC3C – Secondary Transition services and student programming!
- EXPLORE [dis]ABILITY – a traveling exhibit to build disability and inclusion awareness
- INCLUDE DC – a course in inclusive practices for general educators
- Medicaid Billing – accessing additional funding to support your special ed program
- On-site PD, Coaching and Program Consultation – workshops, coaching, compliance reviews, and brainstorming – the Co-op is your thought partner!
Become A Member
The DC Special Education Cooperative is a 501(c)(3) organization. Membership is open to all charters in the District of Columbia.
Apply – The Co-op’s membership year begins on July 1, but it’s never too late to join!
Dues – For SY 2017-2018: $3,500 (200+ total students enrolled), $2,500 (100-199 total students enrolled), or $2,000 (<100 total students enrolled)
Newly approved charters and those pending approval can apply for provisional membership.