The DC Special Education Co-operative is a 501(c)(3) membership organization. Membership is open to charter schools in the District of Columbia. Newly approved charter schools and those pending approval can apply for provisional membership.
The Co-operative provides high-quality services to LEAs that want to get special education right. Read more about the Co-operative’s accomplishments and plans in our 2013-2014 Membership Brochure.
- Technical Assistance Help Line
- Bi-weekly E-Newsletter
- Policy Updates
- Affinity E-Discussion Groups
- Calendar of Events
- Resource Library
- Members only access to:
- Jumpstart Packages (Academics, Behavior, Compliance)
- CPI Training
- Medicaid billing services
- Professional development opportunities and events
- Consulting services
- Product and service discounts
- Monthly member meetings
- Full website content (articles, tools, compliance documents, resume bank, and calendar)
- Priority registration for ASSIST DC and INCLUDE DC, workshops, and conferences
Technical Assistance Program for Members
Implementing special education services can be a challenge, even for large school districts with many resources. D.C. charters are on their own to meet the needs of all students. Many D.C. charters are a single school district with limited resources and internal capacity to navigate the ever-changing high-stakes environment of special education policy and best practices. Through the Co-operative’s technical assistance program, member schools get the guidance and information they need to build and maintain high-quality special education programs. We provide TA in several ways:
- Helpline - Co-operative members can call our helpline anytime.
- Special Education Coordinator (SEC) discussion group - Members can post in our SEC discussion listserv to share resources, and get advice from fellow coordinators at other charter schools.
- Newsletter - our bi-weekly e-newsletter includes tips, resources, and information
- Policy blasts, OSSE updates, and reporting reminders
- Member meetings - opportunities to network and learn from peers